PS3-Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The World Of Warhawk

2 posters

Go down

The World Of Warhawk Empty The World Of Warhawk

Post  Gulfbreeze Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:23 pm

I'm very much a 'Zones' player and love playing the 24 player max games and knowing where weapon pickups are have given better opportunities to overcoming conflict, especially in relation to where you spawn: A variety of weapons are located through out each map in the world of Warhawk and generally speaking locations of pickups rarely change from game types.

On the 'Destroyed Capital' map there is a sweet location where you can pick up every weapon type in a single room except for mines...there is an attic in both buildings on the island which is only accessible by a Warhawk. The entrance is on the side of the building facing towards the center of the map. You'll have to land the Warhawk on the walkway and enter the attic on foot. The pickups will only appear if the territory is in control by a team (don't know if this rule applies in Deathmatch - I assume they automatically spawn as pickups regardless).

When spawned you'll start off with a Pistol (selected by default), a Knife and 2 grenades...there's always a scramble at spawn points to grab weapons and as I discovered speed is essential if you don't want to be left holding your balls - unless you're fortunate to respawn nearest to any pickups why rush around to grab pickups at base - hop in a vehicle instead. The chances are that enroute to your first port of call (either as passenger or driver), or at your destination you can hop out and will be able to tool up without the hassle of rushing around with loads of team mates, besides the chances of entering direct conflict is low early in the game - get there first, get there fast! I think it helps while spawning, if you decide what you're going for first - weapons or vehicles (personally, I always go for vehicles and then get my weapons).

If like me, you do find yourself entering into an early conflict - it is unlikely the enemy has had a chance to tool themselves up any better than yourself (personally I see my odds of survival against a machine gun or mines with a pistol are greater than meeting someone with a flamethrower and me with my pistol in one hand and my balls in the other as I kiss them goodbye!).

Back packs of the recently deceased can sometimes uncover a treasure trove of goodies- grab them! cyclops

Coming soon - more to follow...
Gulfbreeze
Gulfbreeze

Number of posts : 20
PSN : Gulfbreeze
Registration date : 2007-11-15

Back to top Go down

The World Of Warhawk Empty Re: The World Of Warhawk

Post  ConorBuckley Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:04 pm

Nice strategy guide mate.

I can't wait for the next bit.
ConorBuckley
ConorBuckley
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 103
PSN : ConorBuckley
Registration date : 2007-11-12

http://ps3-foum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gulfbreeze Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:12 am

'Fortune favours the bold, but bravery and foolishness are often the same thing!'

WEAPONS OF WARHAWK

PISTOL
Range: Short Distance
Rate Of Fire: As fast as you can pull that trigger [R1]
Damage: Light - Medium
Ammo: Infinite
Magazine: 20

In the right hands a pistol offers more precision and gives better control of movement in close quarter combat than the machine gun. Unfortunately this is where the benefit of the pistol stops unless your lucky to fire a stray bullet at a 4x4 occupant (I shot a driver of a 4x4 as he attempted to run me over Laughing )...use and practice of the pistol is essential as there will be times that this may be your only available weapon.

KNIFE
Range: Close Quarters
Damage: Heavy to Lethal

Knives are great on the unsuspecting victim and 4x4 occupants (or squatter). Handy in close quarters - 'guns for show, knives for a pro'. During the process of respawning your can select this weapon before coming a live player (as the count down finishes press down on the directional pad and move from the spawn point) and for all intent and purposes you are momentarily invisible and immune to the enemy - allowing the opportunity of grabbing a convenient position for a kill. For me, 2 'clean' swipes will see off the victim. With crouching opponents ensure that your view is adjusted downwards slighty.

During a zones game, I'll use the knife to back-off opponnents from holding positions - granted this form of offensive attack is rarely successful (but chances of success are increased against crouching opponents who are unable to run). This approach shouldn't be employed at great distance (unless you're a suicidal nutter like me) but may buy some necessary time in order that re-enforcements arrive, which also is no guarentee will happen. Much like the machine gun, there may be moments when you could end up caught in a 'dance' with the enemy, as you both attempt to kill eachother.

GRENADES (Secondary Weapon - L1)
Range: Close - Medium
Damage: Light - Lethal
Ammo: 2-6 (max capacity)

There's a fine art to the use of grenades,timing and aim are critical. With moving opponents anticipate and throw into space either side (or in front of them if they're steaming towards you - move the aiming reticule off target if its locked on). Practice in grenade throwing while moving can assist in dealing with troops especially if being chased by one. Likewise, be aware when grenades are thrown - you can normally make out where they're being thrown to and maneouver to a safe area - grenades are great for dealing with tightly packed mines and are a good tool to smoke out opponents in buildings/fortresses. Lob 'em over wals into buildings and through windows.

With a group of team mates grenades can make very light work of tanks, 8 grenades are required.

Warhawks only require 2 grenades (so get them when their hovering or just landing).

Turrets require 4 grenades.

4x4s require 3 (but you can land them on the occupants).

In some instances you can use the environment to increase the grenades area of affect if thrown at crates, barrels, mines or vehicles on the verge of destruction (be warned, this practice is as much lethal to your own team mates as it is to the enemy - but then what's the value of one life , if it could save many! What a Face ). If you land a grenade directly on your enemy, death is guarenteed!

If your tempted to use grenades on enemy foot soldiers, I try and get into a position where the victim is unaware of any presence (normally indicated by the fact you're not being attacked - timing is critical), chuck 2 grenades quickly one after another to ensure the job gets done as sometimes expect the unexpected where 1 grenade just don't cut the mustard...also be aware of the 'bounce' factor of obstacles that may be in be in your way - just because you're hiding behind a wall , it doesn't mean you'll lob a grenade 'over' the wall automatically (alter your view accordingly to get a clear trajectory).

MACHINE GUN
Range: Short - Long
Rate Of Fire: Fast
Damage: Light - Medium
Max Ammo 280
Magazine: 40

The next standard weapon to the pistol; if you're not feeling confident with a pistol or you respawn in the thick of a dog fight grab one as soon as. Theres normally at least 1 pickup in the vicinity of a respawn point with a couple of grenades. In one game it took 4 clips with the machine gun to shoot down a Warhawk - there's nothing more annoying than being terrorized by a Warhawk when your on foot (especially if they're a good pilot!) but nothing more satisfying than standing toe-to-toe and shooting them down - HA!

The Machine has a good range and like with many ranged weapons, can cause damage even if your target isn't locked. The funny thing about Machine Guns and Knives is when caught with an equal enemy ie 1-on-1 a ritual of 'dancing' can take place as you both maneouver to gain a position of advantage (normally in leftward motion). I'm not sure if its just me, but leftward movement offers a better rate of survival than moving to the right - just don,t run into any obstacles!

MINES
Range: Close Proximity
Damage: Heavy - Devastating
Ammo: 4 (max Capacity)

Pickups for mines in the world of Warhawk are rare. Mines are great and allow thinking out of the box for use - mines can be used in a variety of ways but be warned as devestating as they are, it can backfire if you're still in close proximity of your deployed mine (althogh mines can distinguish between team players before being triggered, the explosion does not). A key to overcoming mines is sound and vision - if I hear them placed I start excercising caution in movement but occaisonally lob a grenade to see if I can land it on the recently placed mine and get a chain reaction going and deal with the perpertraitor at the same time.

I used to drive into enemy territory and poach the mines and plant one right on the pickup point. I've seen mines since deployed by all manner of pickups - very handy for the eagerly respawned enemy - a good tactic in deathmatches.

In CTF, if trying to retrieve a stolen flag and it has been dropped - mines can offer the protection of potential oncoming thieves - scater mines around the flag (at a safe distance from yourself and the flag). This is especially handy in enemy territory to keep soldiers at bay.

Deployment of mines when placed in visibility can be dealt with easily, normally placed on the road where heavy traffic flow occurs - then there is the descreet deployment of mines (and a setup which always gets me on the Archepelagos level 'Acropolis Assault')... mines placed in the inner archway of entrances or placed on the roof inside buildings or archways - impossible to spot on approach at high speed in a vehicle and often just out of the area of affect for grenades. As well as planting mines on obvious routes to catch the unsuspecting and next to pickups for the greedy - mines are a handy tank buster in lieu of a flamethrower or for dealing with Turret Squatters. Plant a mine on the occupied vehicle/turret get clear and watch the fireworks - it helps if the tank is distracted or looking the other way.

A tactic I've started to see is that of the 'Suicide Bomber' approach - mines are placed onto 4x4s and then driven towards the enemy - I'll never know if those guys ever jumped out in time to make it worthwhile.

Once a deployed mine has been dealt with it is often courtesy to replace the once deployed enemy mine with one of your own.
I'm not certain, but it seems to me that certain players also use mines as an 'Alarm' to indicate enemy activity in a specific location if one should happen to accidentlly be triggered by a misplaced foot or eager vehicle (these guys normally fly around in Warhawks - probably to afraid to get their hands dirty in ground combat!).

A method of discreet mine deployment I would like to try (but have not yet put into affect) is to enter enemy territory and plant mines directly under vehicles - I would go through the whole process of moving the vehicle off the spawn point and then placing the mine appropriately on the floor then place the vehicle back into its position - I have no idea if it works but think it would really mess with peoples head if you repeat the strategy and get it down to an art form (note: - since initially typing this up, I have had a chance to explore this strategy with hilarious outcomes and it did prove to be quite successful - if you can get away with it! Razz )

ROCKET LAUNCHER
Range: Medium - Long
Rate Of Fire: Slow
Damage: Heavey - Lethal
Max Ammo 6

Master it at close quarters and you're a pretty lethal killing machine. The Rocket Launcher offers a variarty of ranged attacks - conveniently targeting and homing in on tanks and warhawks with the [R1] held down and the target held in focus the aim gets locked. Once a missile is locked watch for any obstacles that may hinder the path of the missile and adjust your aim so the trajectory is altered. If you're firing from behind an obstacle and you have achieved lock-on then you can point the launcher straight up in air for all intent and purposes (or as much as necessary) to circum navigate the obstacle(s) before firing - bend it like Beckham! Good positioning and steady nerves will allow targeting with cover from return tank fire... It will take 2 rockets to shoot down a warhawk, turrets and 4x4s but beware, even good soldiers can excersise evasive maneouvers to avoid them Tanks require 3.
Due to the range of the launcher - it is a handy tool to find enemies in the distance where you can't see them but know they are there... they are also a handy tool of retribution after being shot by a sniper, most satisfying! Or at least making them think twice before shooting another round on you from the same place.
Use of the Rocket at close proximity is not advisable - it still hasn't ceased to amuse me players unfortunately blowing themselves up (much like me!).
In some of the zone games I've played, if you target the warhawk as its landing it has a tendancy on occassion to hit the player as they exit the craft (which is a bonus)...

***THIS POST WILL BE SUBJECT TO UPDATING - WATCH THIS SPACE***

Last edited by on Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gulfbreeze
Gulfbreeze

Number of posts : 20
PSN : Gulfbreeze
Registration date : 2007-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post  ConorBuckley Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:43 am

Great guide. What a Face

I have tried some of your tips and they have really helped. Very Happy